Cathy Howse used to be known as the don of relaxed hair and even though she is natural now her very simple relaxed hair regimen led her to great success with not only her own hair but also all her fans who have followed her healthy hair regimen religiously.
Cathy was one of the first black women who successfully proved that relaxed hair can in fact grow to great lengths with consistency and a great regimen.
The goal of her challenge is to retain six inches of hair every year by adopting seven basic guidelines. Here are the rules of engagement:
1. Wash you hair twice a week with an slightly acidic pH balanced shampoo, moisturizing shampoo or a sulfate free shampoo.
2. Use a protein based deep conditioner weekly. You have the option of using one of Cathy’s products or any of your favorite protein based deep conditioners, and you must use heat cap to deep condition or allow the conditioner to sit overnight. She is quite firm on the idea of using heat while deep conditioning because heat allows the conditioning agents to penetrate into all areas of the hair shaft.
3. Air dry your hair with your leave in conditioner generously applied.
4. If you must use a blow dryer, only use the cool setting or don’t use it at all. Blow drying (even on low) is notorious for drying hair out.
5. Do not use brushes ever. Period. Comb your hair with a wide tooth comb once a week only on wash day.
6. Stretch you relaxer for 10 weeks or more.
7. Limit the use of heat to once or twice a month. Although originally she had stated that it is ok to use heat as long as it is on freshly washed and deep conditioned hair. Some relaxed ladies got tripped up by this however because depending on the resilience of your strands, some ladies tresses are unable to withstand regular heat.