Surprisingly when added to your hair, honey can impart sheen and softness. The most important property of honey with regards to hair is that it works as a natural humectant attracting moisture to otherwise dry strands.
Here are 8 benefits of honey with a couple recipes sprinkled in that can be very healthy for your hair.
1. Honey is safe for the hair: chances are if you can eat it then it is pretty safe for the hair. Honey contains trace minerals vitamins and anti bacterial properties that are very beneficial to the scalp and hair keeping it nourished and enriched.
2. Simple Honey Recipe: Mix equal parts of honey and olive oil to make a thick paste, apply it to your hair before you shampoo for 20 – 30 minutes. Shampoo and condition your hair as normal, the hair should come out soft and super shiny
3. Honey is budget friendly – The benefits of honey greatly outweigh the cost of purchasing it. Support your local farms by purchasing local honey from your grocery store or local farmers market. Raw honey is not hard to find and at minimum of six or five dollars ajar you will be able to take advantage of one of the best natural ingredients for imparting moisture and shine to your hair.
4. Honey is great for hair loss and thinning edges- This recipe for thinning hair calls for equal parts of cinnamon, olive oil and honey applied to thinning areas of the hair. The application can be done 2- 3 times a week to help with problem areas.
5. Hydrating honey protein treatment – 2 table spoons of honey, 3 table spoons of olive oil and 1 table spoon of plain Greek yogurt. Blend all ingredients together and apply to damp clean hair using an applicator brush or your hands. Cover your hair with a plastic cap to hold the heat in and let it sit for 20-30 minutes or longer depending on your needs.
6. Honey can naturally lighten your hair – The property in honey that contributes to lightening the hair is the natural hydrogen peroxide found in it. Depending on the porosity of your hair and how well it absorbs the honey will determine how light your hair gets. Honey lightening will take quite a few applications for any noticeable differences.
7. Honey lightening recipe – using some distilled water mix honey in the water using a 4 to 1 ratio ensuring that the mixture is thick enough to be applied to the hair. Apply the mixture to the hair and scalp allowing it to sit for up to an hour so that the hair can absorb the honey thoroughly. Ensure that the mixture is completely rinsed out of your hair using a mild shampoo. Condition and style as normal.
8. Honey can be used daily – Add 1 or two table spoons of honey and olive oil to your favorite conditioner for daily use. The added ingredients will not only impart maximum shine but your hair will be super soft every time you co wash.
What are your favorite honey recipes, tips and tricks?