Deep protein conditioning

Hello. i need some help. i’ve officially started my long healthy hair care journey since January 2013. so i’m very new. A few months prior (around oct 2012) i was doing some things that i considered to be healthy haircare practices, but interms of full research and actively doing the steps suggested, that didn’t start till Jan. i’m at the stage of trying to figure out which products works best for my hair. Of course i went out and bought lots of stuff only to read some other info that another thing is better. this stage is quite frustrating, but i’m encourage as most experience ‘journeyers’ constantly remind that this happens to everyone. Anyways let me get to my problem. i still can’t figure out if my hair needs moisture or protein. i know something is wrong i just don’t know what it is. i moisture and seal every night. i wash and deep condition at least once a week. sometimes twice a week.  i think i did a protein treatment since this year (with aphogee 2 step) but i can’t remember for sure and my hairdresser is absolutely no help as i have to be the one to tell her when i want my hair treated. is it ok if i do another deep protein? will it be damaging to my hair if infact i did do one this year. My hair is a little below the shoulder at this point, my first goal is to get to APL.

Category: asked February 5, 2013

4 Answers

Hi Melissa, wen i started my hair journey, i started writing dwn everything i did to my hair, products that i used  and how my hair felt after using a product for awhile. Keep in my that what works for someone hair  may not necessarily works for ur hair, so dnt  go buying too many products  and using them all at once. Please listen  to ur hair it will let u knw what products it likes and dislikes. Try doin a strand test  on a clean dry  strand: gently pull wit both hands lightly if it snaps moisture is need, do the same wit a clean damp strand if it stretches and extremely slowly returns to its original length protein is need. If u think u did a hard protein  since  Jan and u need to do a protein treatment again try using the aphogee 2 min reconstructor instead of the Aphogee 2 step. Aphogee 2 min reconstructor can be use every other week unlike the aphogee 2 step protein treatment which shud be used every 6-8wks. HTH

o i forgot to mention i’m relaxed

I agree with Simpliuniqueme. It’s very important to know EXACTLY what you are doing to your hair and when. Or else you are just guessing which does not sound like a good regimen at all. It takes a while to learn what works for your hair and to know instantly what your hair needs without having to refer to your notes. I have only just mastered this skill after just over year of my hair journey but like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget. Good luck.

Simpliuniqueme and Shaniqua43, thanks so much for ur responses. i do keep a hair diary and been writing down all the things that i do and how it feels when i’m done. i find that my hair feels really good when its wet. But its the daily feel when its dry that does not feel right. when i use the products during my washings, it feels nice and smooth during and right after. But during the daytime it just doesn’t feel right. i use leave in. Tried the cantu hair repair and the s-curl (alternated between those two to see which wud give better results) There is still a bit of breaking. i think what i really need is some patience aswell. its still early days in my journey so i’ll take your advice and try to listen to my hair. (it just feels like we speak different languages cuz i don’t yet understand what its saying). the advice of the strand test seems quite helpful and i’ll definately use it .Thanks again!!!